Club History

Shooting at Cambridge started through the Cambridge University Rifle Volunteers (currently known as the Cambridge University Officer Training Corps). The Cambridge University Rifle Volunteers’ Rifle Club was established to provide an opportunity for serving members to practice the art of shooting.

From the early days, shooters at cambridge were fortunate to have a range that extended back to 1100 yards where members could practice on a weekly basis. Legend has it that not all members chose to shoot at traditional ranges however. Captain Horatio Ross did some experimental firing from the tower of the University Press about 2000 yards away. He did not manage to hit the target but his shot fell close enough to be recognized. This was an impressive feat with the rifles of those days.

Changes were made by the National Rifle Association that allowed Universities to setup rifle associations on the same lines as county associations. This led to the formation of the Cambridge University Rifle Association in 1909 as an amalgamation of the Rifle Club and the Revolver Club. Following this almost every college had its own rifle club that was affiliated to the University Rifle Association which totaled over 300 members at one time. The Association was the parent body of the Small Bore, Revolver and Pistol and Long Range Rifle Clubs, their memberships frequently overlapping. Up until 1933, only members of the Cambridge University Officer Training Corps were eligible to represent the university against Oxford. The strong links with the Officer Training Corps continue to this day with the Commanding Officer of the Corps being the President of CURA. Currently CURA is a club in its own rights but the strong links to other shooting clubs at Cambridge and the Offficer Training Corps continue.

Newsletters

Copies of the annual newsletters for previous seasons can be found below: